Writing Sample / Example

Create a piece of writing based on a powerful memory.  Capture this memory in a short expressive piece of writing - like a photograph of your idea.

It could be a happy memory or something dangerous you have done.

You could write about your favourite place, food or a favourite activity.

Just choose something that you really have something to tell us about.
  1. Talk / tell someone about your idea including details - blood, guts, heart-break, fear, joy!
  2. Plan / list important words, draw a detailed picture, brainstorm, mind-map
  3. Draft / write it all down - do your best - miss lines - circle possible spelling errors - include paragraphs
  4. Edit / as much as you can - if you get to this stage
Finished by FRIDAY




 Going Down the Steep Hill

Blood pulsing at break neck speed. Feeling nervous. I edged slowly down the steep winding road.  My only life line, a single rope tied to the branch of a tree. I looked down. I was dizzlingly high up, I felt sick.

I couldn't  move, I was scared stiff. Then suddenly the sand under my feet started to shift, I was slipping!!!

regained my balance, but I still felt petrified. Then I noticed people shouting behind me. Someone shouted, “hurry up!” For a moment I felt infuriated thinking, "they have no idea what it’s like being terrified of heights!"

I saw the beach just in front of me. I thought to myself, “you can do it - almost there.” When I finally got down I felt proud, relived 
and I 
couldn't
believe what I had just 
done. 

By Ruby



Here is a Wordle of the top words used in this writing

Want to make your own? Look for the Wordle link on the left hand side of this page







3 comments:

  1. Ruby i think you are writing at the age of a 13 year old. Your story is so powerful i believe that when you get older you should be a famous writer.
    Scarlett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruby,I really loved your story because it showed how brave you were especially since you are terrified of heights!To be honest with you I don't like heights to much either,I'm fine going up but I don't like going down especially down steep things!
    Phoebe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a terrific story. I really felt like I was there with you, because of the way you described your thoughts and feelings. Well done!
    Dad and Mum

    ReplyDelete